So far this blog hasn't been working very well, but I'm determined to get to the point where we can all connect. That's my plan.
For me, it's all about connections. I've reflected on it for many years. It seems when you're the seventh of eight children you are automatically placed in the position of observer. Not the baby, not the older. responsible one of the last three...just sandwiched in between, to watch and listen and work things out for yourself. As a result, I believe, the dynamics of my family, are a burnished and fascinating mosaic, freeze-framed vignettes that continue to resonate.
Last year, at just about this time, the oldest daughter of the Cora & Barney Garey gang left us.
Helen left a legacy of utmost importance. She lived her life well; she taught us how to die with grace; she shared her long life with her family first, all of the family, and with the Jewish community in which she lived. And she connected with all of us. A guiding light.
My hope is that some of the younger generation will want to connect by using this format so that the three "youngest" of the family can fade into the background and watch and listen.
Hey! Shirley Rubenstein, in Buffalo, will be 90 years old in November; I will be 88! I live in the beautiful Hudson River Valley; and Rosalie Zwain, the baby, will be 84 on May 7th! She lives in Rancho Mirage, CA.
So you see, it's time for a little action around here.
What are you all up to? Who's doing what? and to whom? Who has MOJO to make this happen? If yes, you can, means anything to any of you, you can do it!
We three can fill you in a on a lot of family history; we're good to go on that level, but you're the ones with the news, glad or sad. Please share.
I send you love and a wish for all good things,
Your sister; mother; in-law; grandmother; aunt; great-aunt; great-great aunt,
Doris (Garey Maizel Shaw)
Lovely way to begin, Aunt Doris! I hope we'll all follow through with this!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Howard